Friday, October 9, 2009

Fabric Snob or Why does it have to cost so much!!!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Fabric. I think that as a quilter this is a given. I am also in a 12 step program for quilting snobs. I love fabric and it loves my bank card. For some reason all the fabric I love seems to cost 9 - 12 dollars a yard. There in lies my delima....do I stay married or buy more fabric. The fact that I even need to think about this is the reason for the 12 step program. So I have become what is better known as a frugal fabric shopper.... ok I am cheap. I LOVE me a bargain. I hit the fabric clearance rack 1st then look at the new stuff. I also notice cost. Like when I was in a fabric store in northern Va. (where the owner was EXCEPTIONALLY rude) and Hoffman fabric was going for 10.50 a yard - come on - that is just a little CRAZY. I know for a fact she pays between 4 - 6 dollars a yard wholesale. I can understand a profit - but at what cost. It is at that time I say to RUDE fabric store owner - I can get this fabric on e-bay for 8.50 a yard - she tells me I can't and then I have to pay shipping. HELLO .. yes I can and most of the time shipping is free and if not works out to be exactly what I am paying in tax. Well, my 1st rant has a purpose, and that is my LOVE of Ebay - where I buy Bali Pops for 30 flat with shipping included. And super cute fat quarter bundles for less than 2 dollars a quarter. No I can't touch it, so I generally only buy fabrics I know I like (or remember the name from the quilting store) but it has solved my delima and my husband stays.
No Ebay will never replace a much loved quilt shop like Bella's in the Isle of Wright, but It does allow me to still make great quilts with great fabric and skip my 12 step fabric snob meeting for this week -

My all time favorite shop on ebay -

Mo and Mac's Fabric Shack
http://myworld.ebay.com/moandmacsfabricshack/

Not only are they SUPER nice - Sue has such a great eye for putting fabrics together!

1 comment:

  1. We did come home from DC with some goodies though, didn't we? I just hated giving rude person my money hehehe ... I think we need a plan for disguising fabric so we can safely bring it into the house!

    ReplyDelete